Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Professor Lovett's Lecture of the Brain

flickr.com http://www.flickr.com/photos/lapolab/2310249318/ When I attended Professor Lovett's lecture of the biology of the self, I assumed it would be mostly about the anatomy of the brain and the functions. I also thought that it would be pretty boring, however, it turned out to be pretty interesting. I had already taken psychology before so I had heard of many of the lobes and their functions before. I had also heard the story about Phineas Gage which I thought was still interesting even though I had heard it before. The most interesting story though was the story about that man who had very severe obsessive-compulsive disorder. Since this man's disorder was so bad he tried to commit suicide by shooting himself in the head. However, instead of a killing himself, he ended up curing his disorder because the bullet went straight through the lobe that controlled his OCD. Overall, I thought that the lecture was interesting and helped me understand the function of the brain even more.

No comments:

Post a Comment