I think that "Night" can both be considered a memoir and a history. It descriptively examines and relives events from the holocaust that Eliezer experienced. However, even though the events in the story were historically correct, I think that the book should be considered more of a memoir because the book was mostly about his own experiences that he encountered. The memoir helps the reader understand the story because the reader knows that it is being told from experience and not from a neutral party. As much as I hate to say it, the story most likely had some biases. (Although I don't know anyone that would side the the Nazis). Which is why the book should be considered a memoir and not a history. And no, I do not think that a memoir is a good source of historical "fact" because like I said it could be biased of exaggerated, even though we know the events that took place in "Night" were in fact very true.
Thursday, January 28, 2010
Reflection on Night
I think that "Night" can both be considered a memoir and a history. It descriptively examines and relives events from the holocaust that Eliezer experienced. However, even though the events in the story were historically correct, I think that the book should be considered more of a memoir because the book was mostly about his own experiences that he encountered. The memoir helps the reader understand the story because the reader knows that it is being told from experience and not from a neutral party. As much as I hate to say it, the story most likely had some biases. (Although I don't know anyone that would side the the Nazis). Which is why the book should be considered a memoir and not a history. And no, I do not think that a memoir is a good source of historical "fact" because like I said it could be biased of exaggerated, even though we know the events that took place in "Night" were in fact very true.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I agree, it is a great thing to read if you someone wants to look further into the Holocaust, but it is better as a memoir then as just a piece of history.
ReplyDelete